Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Stori: yummy

One of the major things Debi and I have in common is our love of food and our passion for making it! Although our styles are INCREDIBLY different, we both truly enjoy making fun healthy food for our families. It is not uncommon for the majority of the ingredients in any given dish I make for my family to have come directly from our hand. We garden, we harvest, we farm, we collect. One of the most common meals we eat is chicken fried moose steak, mashed potatoes and gravy, and corn. The moose is one we would have harvested, we grew the potatoes, the milk for the gravy comes from our milk cow. The corn, of course, is bought. I would like to see the guy who can grow corn in interior Alaska!



My 10 year old daughter, Paige, wanted to make some special Valentine's cookies for her friends. My husband always talked about the sugar cookies his Mama used to make and after his dad died this past February, we found her recipe book and her special sugar cookie recipe! After baking these the first time for Marc shortly after we got home from the funeral, I also realize these were some dang good cookies! So of course, this is the cookie that I'm making for Paige and her friends and since I had the book out, I thought I would share it. I think there are better way to show love than boughten greeting cards and dead cut flowers. In my life, food equals love.




Sugar Cookies



2/3 cup shortening
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp grated orange peel
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 egg
4 tsp milk
2 cups sifted flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt



Throughly cream shortening, sugar, orange peel, and vanilla. Add egg; beat till light and fluffy. Stir in milk. Sift together dry ingredients; blend into creamed mixture. Divide dough in half. Chill dough 1 hour. On lightly floured surface, roll to 1/8 inch. Cut into desired shapes with cutters. Bake on greased cookie sheet at 375 about 6 to 8 minutes. Cool slightly; remove from pan. Cool on rack. Decorate. Makes a little under 2 dozen.

No comments:

Post a Comment